‘Timber Construction Forum’ (forum-holzbau):
Platform for ‘know-how transfer’ in the timber business
The “forum-holzbau” organises annually Europe – wide eight international conferences related to timber construction always accompanied by a trade exhibition and attended by more than 4,000 participants. In addition, it offers:
- a widely-read newsletter reaching about 18,000 subscribers
- the websites www.forum-holzbau.com and www.forum-holzbruecken.com condensing important timber engineering information with a comprehensive archive as well as a download-centre with diverse branch-related information
- the “forum-holz”-branch registry, at which companies can promote themselves, and furthermore
- the job portal “www.forum-holzkarriere.com”.
An advanced education and research in the wood sector can hardly exist without coming in touch with the activities of “forum-holzbau”. The goal of the “forum-holzbau” is to promote the usage of timber for construction purposes.
The revenues of the “forum-holzbau” are used for supporting students in carrying out their R&D projects, helping in the realization of new timber-related events, and maintaining the widespread information platform for the German-speaking area.
The “forum-holzbau” was founded by Professors of universities very active in timber engineering:
- Uwe Germerott, University of Applied Studies Bern, Biel/CH,
- Heinrich Köster, University of Applied Studies Rosenheim/GER,
- Helmut Prion, University of British Columbia/CAN,
- Wolfgang Winter, TU Wien/AUT,
- Hermann Kaufmann, TU München/GER
- Dr. Matti Kairi, Aalto University School of Science and Technology/FIN
Additionally, Hugo Karre is acting as “bridge from science to business”.
The “flagship” event of the “forum-holzbau” – the “International Timber Construction Forum” at Garmisch/Partenkirchen/GER – is considered to be one of the most important conferences for timber construction in Europe, attracting annually more than 1,500 participants from all over the world.
The other international congresses are also well established: the “Forum Bois Construction” takes place in France, the “Int. Forum dell’Edilizia in Legno” in Italy, and the “Forum Holz Bau Nordic” is already known as the “Scandinavian meet-up for timber construction”. Special congresses, such as on “acoustics and fire prevention” or “energy – efficient construction” are completing the wide range of the “forum-holzbau” events.
Watch a wideo about Polish day at Garmisch: